Copyright © Hillingdon Chamber of Commerce
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Website created by One Care iT Limited
74% of Tory members now back Heathrow expansion after Brexit vote
- First ever analysis of Tory Party members’ views on airport expansion.
- Poll shows younger and vote Remain members most supportive of Heathrow expansion in response to Brexit.
- 88% of members say a decision to expand Heathrow would show the new leader capable of ‘putting the national interest first’.
- Heathrow was unanimously and unequivocally recommended for expansion after three years of analysis by the independent Airports Commission.
- Heathrow expansion is a £16bn privately funded ready-to-go infrastructure project that will secure Britain’s place as an outward looking trading nation and send a clear message that Britain is open for business.
In the first ever poll of their views of airport expansion, and as the UK prepares for Brexit, 74% of Tory Party members now support a third runway at Heathrow. Expanding Heathrow is now a choice for the next Conservative Party leader and the views of the party membership will influence the airport expansion debate.
YouGov polled 1,001 Conservative Party members across the UK. The result show that Heathrow expansion is overwhelmingly popular with both Remain and Leave voters and can play a role in unifying the party membership behind a ready to go infrastructure project. This poll result follows a ComRes poll last week showing two-thirds MPs across all parties would back Heathrow expansion in a free vote.
Following Brexit 76% of party members under the age of fifty and 74% of all party members that voted Remain want Heathrow to expand for Britain’s future outside of the EU.
These exclusive polling results show that in every region of the UK, the Conservative grass roots overwhelmingly want the next Prime Minster to get behind a ready to go infrastructure project and support Heathrow expansion ‘in the national interest’.
Responding to the polling results, Heathrow’s Chief Executive John Holland Kaye said, “Delaying Heathrow expansion risks Britain falling behind. Conservative members, cross party MPs and voters do not want to pull up the drawbridge on the rest of the world. Now, more than ever Heathrow expansion is needed and I am delighted we are supported overwhelmingly by the Conservative Party grass roots.”
“This poll shows the Tory grassroots see expanded Heathrow as a keystone policy to give the whole of the UK the infrastructure and opportunities to compete outside of the EU. The next Conservative Prime Minster will have a mandate from the party membership to make the right choice for jobs and security, in the national interest and expand Heathrow.”
“I am confident all candidates will listen to the voice of the grassroots and Heathrow stands ready to work with the next Government to help build a future that keeps Britain optimistic and open to the world.”